Thursday 17 April 2014

The original tools for this 1500 'S'

As requested by Pedro (USA), I took some photo's of the original tools as provided by VW back in September 1964 for my 1500 'S'.
 
As far as I know, these are the original tools and have not been changed or even cleaned up much in the last 50 years.
 
I have not used any of these tools ever and it would appear they have not been used except maybe once or twice back in the day.
 
 




Note the manufacturer's details on the black painted handle (look closely).


Original hub-cap puller tool. Slightly bent but I will leave it as is.


Original Hazet 8mm / 13mm open end wrench. Would it have cost any extra back then to nickel plate it or similar? 

 



 





 
I think the tools provided by VW with their cars back then were a bit crap in reality. Even today, my new VW T5 transporter is only just provided with enough tools to change the spare wheel and perhaps there is a spanner of some sorts.
 
What is surprising to me is that people didn't buy the Type 3 1500 Hazet round tool kit in large quantities because that is one super nice accessory that would have been very useful back then.

Isotropic rem polishing