Tuesday 31 December 2019

2020 Type 3 Vision

Day 1 of 2020 is here and I will continue to attempt to achieve 1 x small job per day on the VW's this year as I have done for the last few years in order to get the cars completed (especially with the T34 heading to South Australia this year).

It really is that simple in building a car- chip away at it slowly and before you know it, you have a cool car. It staggers me the number of people that fail to see this is the easiest way of building a car and they end up selling a half arsed pile of rubbish with parts missing etc. There is no excuse for that.


I recently got some black 3M contact adhesive for attaching the front and rear compartment seals, so I started today on the front compartment as this seal is a genuine VW item (later model VW-1600 that I shortened and glued back together).


Things went perfect and the seal is now stuck down suitably well.
I will let it sit overnight, check it in the morning and if all is well, close the lid to confirm it's all hunky dory.

As for the rear seal...I know that is going to be a pain in the arse. It is not a genuine VW item and while it's close to the correct profile, it isn't spot on. I have started by attaching the top of it to the body only and left it with a bunch of clothes pegs to hold it tight while it sets up. I will continue tomorrow morning with both sides and the clothes pegs idea to hold it all in place. Assuming that all goes well, the bottom of the seal will be attached by mid day (and probably masking taped tight to the body for a bit) and by this time tomorrow night I can then call the rear seal done.

Door seals will be the next items to attach but I better order some more of the black 3M adhesive as I only bought enough for the front and rear. I have plenty to do elsewhere anyway so it's not a problem.


The black VW is looking good. As soon as the hot weather passes, it will go for an outing or two.

Isotropic rem polishing