Saturday 11 September 2010

WW Dual Port 36hp up and running



Saturday was busy, I installed the engine into the client's car and after messing about with all sorts of bits and pieces, got the engine fired up. Virtually first crank of the starter too!

I have some final details to do- the generator pulley is still at the paint shop so installed a temporary unit.

The wiring needs a bit more tidy up but is all connected and working- I think some black outer sheathing to protect the regulator wires is in order.

The heater boxes are installed but with out the flaps- the ones on this engine were damaged and missing pieces so for now there is no heat. The owner needs to dig up a new heater cable for the car anyway so that's not a show stopper.

The coil needs a paint job and a new decal to be applied and then that will look the business.

The oil pressure switch was wrong (later type) so I installed my last NOS early screw type which is correct for this engine. Looks all the better for it too. There is nothing worse than a 36hp engine with all the wrong details like later oil pressure switches, 009 distributors and especially 13mm ATF hardware. But anyway....

So what problems have I encountered with the WW kit? The CSP linkage does slightly touch the generator stand which is sort of okay- it's just grazing it. The air cleaners hit the deck lid when it's up- we are only talking about 1 mm but it's enough to rip the paint off slightly. I think the deck lid should be slightly power filed back to clear (that's what I would do if it were my car). Apart from those small things, I think it's a great kit for the money. Even without driving the car (the brakes are suspect), I can tell the engine has more response and wants to rev up.

Who would have thought that here in 2010, we would still be messing about with these old VW engines and new products would be available for them?

Isotropic rem polishing