Friday 15 November 2019

CSP Python exhaust upgrade to the 1500 'N' Panel Van

This was another of those- 'I must do something about the exhaust system now the engine is smaller' thoughts I have had for a few years now.
I finally pulled the trigger on getting a CSP Python exhaust system as it seems to be the only system that has equal length primaries, offered in different sizing to suit your engine (I went for 42mm), supported by extra mounts (off the bumper brackets) so as not to crack in the longer term, constructed of stainless steel and exits out the correct VW apron location.

I also like that CSP fitted a heat shield that to the top of the muffler to assist in stopping the heat transfer to the rubber fresh air bellows. Depending on your engine width, this could require some 'tweaking' as indeed my car did.

I had to clearance perhaps 5mm to 10mm off the shield on the right hand side which was somewhat expected. If you have a standard width engine, I suspect you will have no clearance issues.


Here it is mounted up and showing clearance to the apron- about 10mm which is adequate.


I think it looks fantastic. Hides a lot of the engine too!



This is the #3 & #4 side as I was installing it. You can see I hadn't quite bolted the heat shield down at this point but it's in place. This is a great idea in order to prolong the life of your rubber air intake bellows.


As you can see on the #1 & #2 side, I had a stainless steel (CSP supplied) oxygen sensor bung welded to the pipe leading into the muffler.

Thanks TW Engineering for welding that on before work one morning!

Thanks CSP for supplying yet another excellent product to me for the 1500 'N' Panel Van!

Isotropic rem polishing