Saturday 16 November 2019

Oil breather retainer - CSP

I was just about ready to install the original breather to the breather tower about 2 months ago when I thought to myself- 'how absolute shite is the VW retaining nut? and why don't I just install a new CSP one?'

So.... I bought one out of CSP in Germany, waited 2 weeks and was pleased that I had done so. Don't rush into the restoration with garbage parts is the lesson here kids.

As you can see, the CSP retaining 'nut' is a CNC machined item that comes with a special CNC machined tool that fits a 1/2 inch socket wrench for installation.

Yes I have the genuine style socket for the VW style breather 'nut's but... I will never use one of those again in any of my engines.


Here is the tool on the 1/2 drive ready to install into the breather. Yes I have the 'socket' upside down!


Here is the 'nut' installed and very tight (tightening standard VW nut's has always been a challenge if the tool is slightly cocked and this is where the damage starts).


After the nut comes this oil drain cone to direct the oil down. From factory VW installed a washer over the top of this with a slightly smaller hole on some Type 3 engines. I fail to see how restricting that hole is of benefit and have never refitted one on any engines previously so that's how I shall roll with this 1602cc engine too.


And to finish it off, I installed a replacement 'gauze' of plastic supplied by T3HQ Mario in Germany. The NOS cap I have for this engine will be installed at the very last moment because once that is installed, it is impossible to remove without damage to the plastic cap or possibly the breather itself. Best to wait and make sound decisions, not stupid ones if I have to alter anything before the engine is complete.

CSP once again - thanks for this product.

Isotropic rem polishing